Coconut is the fruit of wonders! Be it the auspicious bursting a coconut or a refreshing delight of ‘naariyal paani’ or just a soothing coconut oil ‘chumpy’, coconut has its magic in many aspects of our life. With all these things, this ambrosial fruit is also the ‘soul’ of our much loved south Indian cuisine.
Below are some coconut based recipes that are not only healthy, but are also full of delight! Reading through, will surely give your taste buds an imaginary South Indian expedition! So, make sure to give all a try! You’ll love them.
Kerela style Coconut Stew
A savoury blend of coconut milk, vegetables and spices, the ‘Kerela’ sty Coconut stew is a regular part of the South Indian breakfast generally served with appam. Here’s the recipe (for 2 cups):
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 1 stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 green chilli
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp corn flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1.5 cups boiled mixed vegetables (carrots and French beans cut diagonally)
Appam (for serving)
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, green chilli and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the corn flour-water mixture and mixed vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot with appam.
There is perhaps no easier way of making a pie. With of course a flavor of our best friend…. Coconuts!
- 1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cake mix
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 9-inch pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the centre comes out clen. Cover and refrigerate. Enjoy!
No bake Coco-candy
This easy No Bake coconut candy recipe goes together in minutes and is perfect sweet bite for your loved ones. Especially for somebody who does not know cooking but want to impress someone special! This candy is an example of sheer craftiness and has nothing to do with your cooking skills.
- Sweetened flaked coconut
- Powdered sugar
- Melted butter
- Flavoured (chocolate/ strawberry/ pineapple etc) spread
Well it’s super easy! Just mix the butter and sugar together. Then add in the coconut and mix it together. Form into balls and just lightly press a little dent in the center. Decorate it with your favourite flavoured spread and enjoy. Done! And here’s the best part. You can store them airtight up to 1 week.