- August 23, 2017 / 2 min readAbout 150 bars and restaurants in Bengaluru and 500 in other parts of the state have been facing a huge loss due to the banAfter the centre refused to de-notify, the liquor shops and bars falling on some of the state highways, the liquor outlets have started shifting outside the 500 m range. This follows after 30 per cent of the notified shops 30% have already shifted outside the 500-metre perimeter of national highways or excluded from the ban after the state government de-notified several state highways. Now, another 30% are in the process of shifting after getting approval from the district deputy commissioners, said Rajendra Prasad, joint commissioner of excise. “Many of these outlets had either stopped selling liquor or had shut down following the Supreme Court order in April,“ he added. Another excise department official said: “Applicants planning to shift outside the 500-meter radius have now lost hope of any change in the rules or de-notification. They have, therefore, decided to shift so that they can resume liquor business.” “These establishments will have to apply to the deputy commissioner concerned before shifting. Once they get permission, they can immediately shift.There's no question of any re newal of licences,“ Prasad said.Govindaraj Hegde, secretary of Karnataka Wine Merchants Association, said only about 15% of them have managed to shift to new premises so far. About 150 bars and restaurants in Bengaluru and 500 in other parts of the state have been facing a huge loss due to the ban.
Search for top Restaurant Suppliers in your city